Friday, October 24, 2008

Emergency, Emergency, Call 9-1-1 !!!!

So my dad will be laughing when he reads the title of this post...its a joke from my childhood. However the fire behind my house about 45 minutes ago was no joke at all. I was doing laundry in the garage when I smelled smoke and it took about 2 seconds to realize none of the neighbors were BBQing. I hurried outside and found rising gray smoke behind our block wall (thank You, Lord its a block wall and not a wood fence!!!). Then I heard a kid yelling, "Mom hurry its spreading!!!". Oh poop. So I ran inside, grabbed the kids, social security cards and birth certificates, my purse and shoes and out we flew. We drove around the block to find the neighbors running around with shovels and fire extinguishers and calling 9-1-1. I talked to one of the neighbors who informed me it was an accident waiting to happen with piles of dry woodchips and dry weeds. Also, it was a kid who started it...the one with a lighter in his hand. Greaaaaaat...do I live behind a jr. pyromaniac??? The fire department showed up quickly as well as about 4 police cars (I guess this was the dramatic event of our city this afternoon). Thankfully everyone and everything is A-OK.

4 comments:

Leti said...

Never a dull moment. I am glad everyone is okay.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha ha HA! I LOVE that comment. I have it on tape, too!

Jannette Thrasher said...

I hope that the fire department and police gave the boy a huge lecture or scolding, whatever you want to call it. Just as Leti said, I am glad everyone is ok.

Mrs. R said...

See...you have an exciting life...

Glad everyone is okay. How scary.