Tuesday, December 2, 2008







Lately I've really gotten into watching "17 Kids and Counting". For anybody who doesn't know it is a reality show on TLC about the Duggar Family. They are devout Christians with 17 children, and another on the way next month. I so appreciate that they live a godly, exemplary life in front of all of America, allowing us to see inside their home. Here are a few things I admire about them:

  • they love Jesus Christ and live it out
  • they are completely debt free including credit cards, mortgages, and car payments
  • they view each of their children as a gift from God
  • they find ways to save money such as thrift store shopping, growing produce, and making their own laundry soap
  • they homeschool
  • the family literally built their own home together
  • their exposure to TV and the internet are limited...and you can see the purity and innocence because of it
  • the siblings are friends with one another and always seem so content with their lives
  • and last but not least...I love how Michelle (the mom) ALWAYS speaks gently and sweetly to her children. I still have not seen her become frustrated or snappy with any of them. If she can do it with 17 (and being pregnant for literally 12 years of her life), I should be able to do it with 2.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had 17 children I couldn't remember their names! I always chuckle that, at times, I'd call Jeff "Pluto" or Pluto "Jeff." Hmmmmph! Sorry Jeff!

Leti said...

Wow! Who said it can't be done? What an example. I love the picture with the background of their beautiful home and they all look so primp and proper.

I would love to talk with her and find out how she (mom) does it, cause I lose it with one...

Jess Stevens said...

I love this show too! Did you know they are writing a book? I think it's awesome that she always stays so calm, wow.

BTW - I tagged you on my blog, YOUR IT!
Wait, I totally just remembered you already did this thing...oh well. Just ignore this. my bad

Carolee said...

I have watched this a few times and I too am amazed at Michelle. I really do admire how soft spoken she is to her children. I'm sure it sets a peaceful tone in the home.

There is one thing that I think is crazy though. I can not believe the oldest son and his finance have to have a chaperon with them at all times. When do they have the opportunity to have those important talks and moments to really get to know each other if someone is always there and watching. I completely agree with them in keeping yourself pure until you are married, my husband and I did, but we didn't need people watching us to do that.

Oh well, that is just my 2 cents worth. There is definitely a lot to admire about that family I just thought that particular thing was a bit too much:)

Laura said...

Carolee - I totally agree with you about the chaperone thing. It got my attention when the couple would only say "I love you", "I love you" and like not much else. In fact there are a few things I've seen that definitely I would do differently. I'm just super intrigued at how they make it all work so peacefully. I'll be watching again tomorrow night. :)

:corinne: said...

Ooooh I've heard about this show and phenomenal family. I haven't watched it yet...but I'll have to sit down cuz I heard these kids are practically angels. Gotta watch it. TFS