Thursday, August 28, 2008

For The Record

Our first day of school is only 5 short days away! Lately I've been wanting to sit down and really think about why I am going to homeschool my children. It all started with a sincere desire very early this year. Although I didn't have any concrete reason such as "I won't allow my children in public schools" (which is not what I believe anyway), I still felt called by the Lord to do it. Since then, I've sought God's wisdom and direction and He's given me several concrete reasons to move forth with this desire. For the record and future reflection (maybe those days when I'm not so jazzed and neither are the kids) here are my reasons:

  • To give my children a biblical worldview. In other words I want to show them God's reality in all aspects of life. God is real, He exists, He created us with a purpose, He loves us, and He has given us the Bible which contains His truth. In fact, because God has created the whole world, all truth is His truth and we should give Him due credit.

  • To be with them. I don't want their childhoods to pass by and not be present enough for them. May my influence be for God's glory and their benefits for life.

  • To take seriously the commandments to parents given in Deuteronomy 6:5-7. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."

  • To allow for tons of life-learning.

  • To create a love for learning and equip them with the skills and resources to self-educate.

  • To teach (or re-teach) as fast or slow as my children need in order to truly learn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that your reasons are sound and I'm glad that you're re-visiting your rationale. If you've put this much effort into the initial concept, I KNOW that your teaching will undoubtedly be top-quality! That's my girl (woman)! Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

You are going to do such a fantastic job! You have put so much time and research into the curriculum and into making your kitchen a wonderful schoolroom. Most importantly, you have covered this decision with prayer and sought the Lord for His guidance and leading. Your girls will be blessed! By the way, Alex and his brother Caleb were home-schooled until 7th grade. His brother Ben was home-schooled through 12th grade. I had an opportunity to talk to his parents for a long time the other night about home-schooling. His mom would be a wonderful resource for you and would love to meet you on the 20th, so I'll introduce you. I'll be praying for you as you begin this wonderful journey next week!!

Anonymous said...

I agree and love everything that the Lord has put on your heart to share.

Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Nettie

Leti said...

I love this:) May the LORD continue to give you "His vision and purpose" for all that you do.