Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The last few weeks have been mostly fun and eventful, but I am always ready to get back to routine. Getting back into homeschool has been really good and the kids haven't skipped a beat (such a blessing for me!). Even though our lives have been so full lately, there isn't really anything that stands out that I would like to blog about. So instead, I'll post a yummy recipe I tried yesterday that was a hit for 3/4 of our little family (usually its 1/4 or 1/2). I'm going to really celebrate when I make something we all really like! :)

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Makes 8 servings. Ideal slow-cooker size 4 or 5 quart.

4 uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I used the thinly sliced fillets and it worked great)
2 15-oz. cans black beans, undrained
2 15-oz. cans low-sodium Mexican stewed tomatoes, or Rotel tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium salsa (mild, medium, or hot, whichever you prefer)
4-oz. can chopped green chilies, undrained
14 1/2-oz. can low-sodium tomato sauce
Baked tortilla chips
2 cups grated cheese

1. Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on low 8 hours.
3. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice into bite-sized pieces. Stir into soup.
4. To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual soup bowl Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.

Taken from the "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly cookbook

3 comments:

lulu said...

hey,I think I'll try this one day...
The girls like tortilla soup,I'm pretty sure that they'll like it with chicken.
thank you.. :)

Anonymous said...

You made me hungry! I think I'll open up a can of something and nuke it.

Jannette Thrasher said...

I almost put what your dad put one night but I really want to try this. I hope it's easy to cook. I didn't end up getting the crock pot (yet it is something I would like to invest in soon considering I will be a very busy mom and have a big family). I got diapers for Trinity instead. I did the math between Wal-Mart and Costco, and I guess in the long run you pay the same with diapers. Next time I go I will have to look at their chickens. They are normally $8 for a 3 lbs chicken. I herd that you can get a better deal at Costco. Welp, thanks for the recipie.