Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ah, the Scent of New Workbooks...















If you know me at all, you know that the above picture brings excitement to my heart, a smile to my face, and delight to my sense of smell. :) I know, I'm so wierd, but apparently I'm not the only wierd one. I've heard of others who love the smell of a new book.

I received a large portion of my kids' curriculum for the next school year last week...it felt like Christmas opening that box! :) I love paging through and seeing all the wonderful things they'll be learning and mastering. Annie has shown quite an interest in learning cursive, so all her writing next year will indeed be in cursive. I hope she sticks with it! I guess she has to since we already paid for the books. I ended up changing curriculums for next year after much prayer and consideration. I loved using what I used this year, but after a few months it became apparent I needed to supplement the academics. I have decided to go with A Beka for everything except math. It looks challenging academically and excellence in academics is something Jose and I both feel strongly about. If we are going to be responsible for our children's educations, we want to do it whole-heartedly and with the best materials the Lord guides us to. One of my conscious endeavors next year while using this curriculum is to keep things fun. We did lots of crafts and outings this year and I don't want that to end. I'll just have to be creative with time management.

We only have 3 days left of school! I can't believe how quickly this school year went with the kids as well as with Jose in seminary. By the way, between online school and actual "in-person" school, he earned a 4.0 GPA in his last semester, all the while working full time, loving and caring for his family, and serving in ministry. Yes, I am married to Superman....and am quite proud of him! :) Here is to a much-needed summer break for all of us!

5 comments:

:corinne: said...

How exciting to have the summer with your girls to look forward to along with new school books to dive into with the girls next year :). Whoo Hoo...Go Jose! Tell him I said Congrats. that's an awesome gpa. He's doing it!

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of new books! :D
I'd really like to get a feel for what you do (as far as home schooling) I think I want to try next year instead of sending Josiah to preschool...
Let Jose know I'm very impressed with his diligence!

Sandy said...

I love the smell of new books! A Beka is so fun! We used it in elementary and I may use some this year as well!

Leti said...

I share your enthusiasm. I loved getting all those books and school materials.

We are thanking the LORD for all He has done for you all as a family and how he has sustained you all through Jose's schooling. We are so very proud of Him and thankful for you and the girls being so supportive.

Mrs. R said...

:) I had to laugh when I saw the picture. I really didn't even need to read the first part of the post. How exciting that you'll be continuing with home schooling next year! And congratulations Jose!