Sunday, January 6, 2008

Excerpt

Currently I'm reading a wonderful book that my husband gave me for Christmas. Its called Having a Mary's Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. I wanted this book for most of 2007 and it was worth the wait. I haven't finished it yet, but be looking for a raving review on my blog in the near future. In fact, I think I'll start making a list of my favorite books soon. One thing Jose and I have shared in common from the beginning of our relationship is our love for books. When we were married and combined our collections, we immediately formed our own little library, even containing duplicates.

Back to my current reading. Here is a little excerpt which actually is from J. Sidlow Baxter, found in my book. Its a little illustration of re-establishing a consistent and meaningful daily devotion life. I hope you enjoy it!

"As never before, my will and I stood face to face. I asked my will the straight question, "Will, are you ready for an hour of prayer?" Will answered, "Here I am, and I'm quite ready, if you are." So Will and I linked arms and turned to go for our time of prayer. At once all the emotions began pulling the other way and protesting, "We're not coming." I saw Will stagger just a bit, so I asked, "Can you stick it out Will?" and Will replied, "Yes, if you can." So Will went, and we got down to prayer....It was a stuggle all the way through. At one point...one of those traitorous emotions had snared my imagination and had run off to the golf course; and it was all I could do to drag the wicked rascal back....

"At the end of that hour, if you had asked me, "Have you had a 'good time'?" I would have had to reply, "No, it has been a wearying wrestle with contrary emotions and a truant imagination from beginning to end." What is more, that battle with the emotions continued for between two and three weeks, and if you had asked me at the end of that period, "Have you had a 'good time' in your daily praying?" I would have had to confess, "No, at times it has seemed as though the heavens were brass, and God too distant to hear, and the Lord Jesus strangely aloof, and prayer accomplishing nothing."

"Yet something was happening. For one thing, Will and I really taught the emotions that we were completely independent of them. Also, one morning, about two weeks after the contest began, just when Will and I were going for another time of prayer, I overheard one of the emotions whisper to the other, "Come on, you guys, it's no use wasting any more time resisting: they'll go just the same,"...

"Then, another couple of weeks later, what do you think happened? During one of our prayer times, when Will and I were no more thinking of the emotions than of the man in the moon, one of the most vigourous of the emotions unexpectedly sprang up and shouted, "Hallelujah!" at which all the other emotions exclaimed, "Amen!" And for the first time the whole of my being--intellect, will, and emotions--was united in one coordinated prayer-operation. All at once, God was real, heaven was open, the Lord Jesus was luminously present, the Holy Spirit was indeed moving through my longings, and prayer was surprisingly vital. Moreover, in that instant there came a sudden realization that heaven had been watching and listening all the way through those days of struggle against chilling moods and mutinous emotions; also that I had been undergoing necessary tutoring by my heavenly Teacher."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura,

There are lots of scriptures that pass through my mind as I read this excpert. But One that stuck out is in Galatians Chapter 5:16&17
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

I herd that the one you feed the most will be more powerful.

Lord help us to stay awake in this evil day, redeeming the time. We ask for your Holy Spirit to be upon (epi) us, giving us the power to be a doer, and growing closer to you Jesus. In your Name we pray, AMEN

Sounds like an inspiring book. One that brings one into a closer look at where they are at in thier relationship/walk with our Jesus, and closer to the Lord as Mary sat at His feet. May our priorites be Him first.
Thank you for sharing, it gives me a challenge to examine myself.

Love,
Nettie

P.s. I can't wait for your list of books.

Anonymous said...

P.s I like your motivation for moms devo.

Love,
Nettie

Leti said...

I love this excerpt. We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities. When we go to pray there is a battle. It has been said that the enemy cringes at the weakest Christian on his/her knees. When we go to pray there is so much more happening, one being bringing every thought captive and bringing our flesh under discipline.

Thanks for sharing. I too love to read and glean from others. Books add to what the Lord is teaching me through His Word.