Thursday, January 24, 2008

So Thankful, But What Do I Do?

Today at the grocery store as I was moving through each aisle, filling my cart I came across a woman who I don't think I'll soon forget. If she was not homeless, she must be close to it. She had on dirty, crusty clothes that looked like they came from a garbage dump, some kind of fabric wrapped as a head covering, and an old bag that was dirty and falling apart. I am glad I didn't have my children with me because if this woman's appearance hadn't caught their attention, the odor permeating her vicinity would have. And we all know kids are brutally honest and rarely think before they speak. My heart broke for her. I casually glanced at her cart. It contained hot dog buns and junior sized franks. She also had a large tub of ice cream which leads me to believe she has a fridge. As much as my flesh wanted to avoid her because of the odor, I would not let myself. This is how so many people live every single day of their lives. I desperately wanted to help her, to share the Lord with her and buy her groceries. I tried to smile at her, but she wouldn't look up at all. I've never been good at starting conversations. I clam up and think that the other person will think "She should mind her own business". So anyway, I felt like it would be inappropriate to offer her assistance in paying for her items since she wasn't even asking. I didn't want to take away any dignity she may have by obviously noticing her plight. At least for myself, I cannot stand for people to look at me and say "Awww, poor thing". So off I went, pushing a very full cart of food for my family, loaded up my working vehicle, hoppped in and immediately turned on the heater, and drove to my comfortable home to the happy and healthy people who love me. I am so blessed and so thankful.

4 comments:

Leti said...

God will give you opportunities to help in someone. Probably not this woman, but some one else. At times I believe, He puts these visuals in our path to see what reaction will we take.

You know, I often think how thankful I am to be where I am and with what the Lord has blessed us with. I remember when our family had to scrape through. When I would go to the groceries I would have limited money and therefore could not buy "whatever". And now, Praise God, I can go to the groceries and not give it a second thought. We truly do have lots to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

I think the good that came from this encounter is that you were reminded of all of your wonderful blessings.

It's like when I'm ill and it reminds me of how good it is to be healthy. It renews my appreciation for my ongoing good health because I'm rarely sick and it's so very easy to take my good health for granted.

I think that for now you do everything you can to take excellent care of your own family. Leti is right that in time, you will be able to help others. There is a time and place for everything. Our Lord gave you a tender heart; you're using it now and you will in the future.

Anonymous said...

I think the good that came from this encounter is that you were reminded of all of your wonderful blessings.

It's like when I'm ill and it reminds me of how good it is to be healthy. It renews my appreciation for my ongoing good health because I'm rarely sick and it's so very easy to take my good health for granted.

I think that for now you do everything you can to take excellent care of your own family. Leti is right that in time, you will be able to help others. There is a time and place for everything. Our Lord gave you a tender heart; you're using it now and you will in the future.

Anonymous said...

God bless you for even considering the poor. This is the heart of Jesus as he had compassion on the multitude. The Lord knows your thoughts afar off, and he will answer your prayers. Sometimes the Lord uses people out in the world to remind us of how much he truly cares for us, and how he truly cares for the others that we come across. I can identify with you and wanting to reach out to the homeless. I think I told you a little of my testimony before. May the Lord continue to give you wisdom as you pass through. I think you did the right thing.

Love Nettie

Pro 14:21 He who despises his neighbor sins;
But he who has mercy on the poor, happy is he.