Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Turquoise House

Annie loves, loves, loves to draw. And she's pretty good at it for being 4 years old. Yesterday afternoon she was drawing and said, "Mommy, come look at what I drew!" So I looked and she drew a picture of heaven with Jesus in the middle and to the left a happy girl, and to the right a girl crying. When I asked why the girl was sad, she replied, "Because she misses her house on earth". So I explained that Jesus said he is preparing a big house for every person who loves Him. So then she drew the little bubble above the girl's head with dots leading up to it, and in the bubble was the girl's new home. I asked what color she thought it would be and as a huge grin grew on her face she announced, "Turquoise!" See, a few blocks away some people decided to paint their home a lovely turquoise...a darker shade of it for the trim and a little lighter for the stucco. So my two daughters' highlights of the day are driving by the turquoise house. Just a side note, Annie also saw the car she wants when she's old enough to drive...a late 90's civic - the color of grey primer, with bright pink wheels. Where am I going wrong?

Well, she may not have the best taste in houses and cars right now, but it does make me excited that she thinks and talks so much about heaven. My prayer is that she stays heavenly-minded her whole life, knowing that is where her permanent home will be.

Jesus said, "In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am there you may be also." -John 14:2-3

2 comments:

Nettie said...

That is just to funny. I love it.

Calvin is an artist also. This morning he drew a picture with markers on a paper towel.

It was a colorful picture of a little man, a hut, a sun, grass, a tree, and black shadows of the pictures as the sun went down.

My friend Ruby just got back from Africa.

Our children really are listening, and they really are watching our lives.
I believe that whatever our passion is, we will instill that desire in their hearts, as well as influence them.

Where your treasure is there your heart will be also. Our treasure is heaven and Jesus our dear lord.

love,
Nettie

Laura said...

Your children are so special. I still have the drawing Calvin made me of the lion, lamb, and dove after he overheard what I said I wanted for my living room.

I fully agree with you about how we influence our children.

It was so nice seeing you Wed. night. When Bek's ailment clears up, I'll email or call to set up some fellowship time.

Love,
Laura