Saturday, March 8, 2008

Oldies But Goodies

On the way home from the retreat last weekend Jannette and I got on the subject of worship. She was saying how she and her husband and son listened to Terry Clark a lot. I just happened to have a Terry Clark CD in the car so we popped it in and Jannette reminisced (sp?). It was so much fun. Music and scents can certainly bring back vivid memories. So on Tuesday morning when I took Annie to school, I grabbed some of my old worship music that I listened to in the early years of my walk with God. I popped in an old Amy Grant tape cassette (yes, its that old) and strolled down memory lane in my relationship with the Lord. It was so so sweet. My girls did not even complain about not having "kid" music on. When the song "In A Little While" finished, Annie insisted I rewind it because it was so beautiful, talking about the hope of heaven and being with the Lord forever. When she hears it, she now sings/yells it as loud as she can (we're working on this). Its funny how the lyrics of songs like "El Shaddai" and "Thy Word" and "I Have Decided" and "My Father's Eyes" and others meant a lot to me over 16 years ago, yet how more MORE they mean to me now. There is something to be said for experiences and just living for the Lord...I love Him more today than in the past, just because of His faithfulness to me as I've sought Him and followed Him. How much more now do I want to praise Him, serve Him, and go home to heaven to be with Him forever. Does this make sense? Oh well, as my Rebekah says when her mouth is full and I say I can't understand her: "God understands me."

1 comment:

Leti said...

Today as we drove to church, KWVE was playing "old" worship songs and I too went right back to those first days of accepting My Jesus into my heart and how thankful and joyful I was. Music is such a gift and can be used for such awesome praise to be directed to Our King...O that we would praise Him more in spirit and in truth.