Saturday, March 8, 2008

Women's Retreat



Last weekend I had the privilege of attending Calvary Chapel Chino Valley's women's retreat in Murrietta Hot Springs. It was awesome, as always. The theme was "A Pattern of Good Works" and emphasized how our lives should be known by such a pattern. The teachings were wonderful and as always the Lord was faithful to minister to me in all the areas I wanted Him to, as well as those that He knew I needed (not necessarily wanted). The good thing about conviction is that even though it doesn't always, okay it never, feels good, at least you know God cares enough to correct you and bring you into closer fellowship with Him.

The ride to and from was nice as I got to take Moni, Jannette, and Irma. The conversations were great and I was blessed to get to know each friend a little better. It was nice seeing some of my friends at the retreat who I just don't get to see very often anymore, like Carin (with Baby Sophie!), Lizzie, Crystal, Corinne, Sally, Jenna, Dyane, and many more. The decorations were so creative and cute (good job, Corinne !)

Here are some of the Scriptures the Lord gave to me:

In regards to seminary and stepping into the unknown (home, finances, etc.):
Deuteronomy 1:21 "Look, the Lord your God has set the land before you; go up and possess it, as the Lord God of your fathers has spoken to you; do not fear or be discouraged."

In regards to my timidity at the thought of being a pastor's wife and having to attempt to minister to women who are older than me:
Titus 2:3-5 "the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things--that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." As Pastor David pointed out in his teaching on Friday night, our capacity to minister to others can be determined by our own behavior.

In regards to home schooling and raising my children in general:
2 Peter 1:3-8 "as his divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. But for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
The italicized words are the qualities I want to pour into my children, no matter what kind of schooling the Lord directs us to. And if it is home schooling, I want to make these part of their educations.

I loved having some quiet time with the Lord in the cafe both mornings. I didn't hear crying or "Mommy, I'm hungry", etc. It was a blessing. But I did miss my husband and babies tremendously and was so happy to return home Sunday afternoon to open arms and a very clean house. God is so good.

1 comment:

Leti said...

I love God's promises-His Word is alive! I am so happy that you had such a wonderful time. And I also love how the Lord is found when we seek Him with all our heart. How exciting to be part of what God is doing in you and your family's lives.