Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Perfect Paula

I read through a fabulous homeschool curriculum guide which reveiws the author's 100 top picks for curriculum. The first several chapters are dedicated to understanding and choosing our own education philosophies, methodologies, goals, and understanding the teacher's and student's learning styles (that can turn out a little tricky and sometimes they clash).

In the learning style section we learned there are 4 basic learning styles: Wiggly Willy, Perfect Paula, Competent Carl, and Sociable Sue. While I had at least a few characteristics checked off in each category, I had every single one checked off under "Perfect Paula". Here are those characteristics:

  • Likes everything neatly planned ahead of time
  • Likes to follow a schedule
  • Is not very good at coming up with creative ideas (as evidenced by my post below titled "I'm the Party-Pooper"
  • Is comfortable with memorization and drill (If you're reading this I probably could recite your address, phone number, and birthday)
  • Gets upset easily when children don't cooperate (the Lord has been really working in me on this one)
  • Worries about meeting requirements
  • Prefers to teach with preplanned curricula
  • Is more comfortable with "cut and dried" subjects than with subjects that require exploration with no clear answers

As for Annie, I would have to classify her as a "Wiggly Willy" but I definitely think she'll grow into a Perfect Paula as I see her frustration when things don't go as scheduled. Although, she is extremely imaginative so who knows. I have no idea yet about Bekah. My prayer is that I will be sensitive and flexible so my children can receive from me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so neat how the Lord gives us all different gifts.

I think of Romans Chapter 12.


Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function,
so it is with Christ's body. We are all parts of his one body, and each of us has different work to do. And since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others.
God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out when you have faith that God is speaking through you.
If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching.
If your gift is to encourage others, do it! If you have money, share it generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.

I am a Sociable Sue, and I do that very well. I also love to share my life with others.

Love,
Nettie

P.S. One gift that I know you have, is hospitality. I didn't want to leave because you made us all feel so welcome and at home.

Mrs. R said...

You. Are. Going. To. Do. Great.

Stop worrying about it. :) Through God all things are possible. :)