Friday, September 14, 2007

Milk...It Does A Body Good

Today I ran to the thrift store to find a small dressy purse to carry out tonight. After buckling my girls back into the car I saw from the corner of my eye an elderly woman trip over a cement parking bumper and totally eat it on the asphalt. I ran over to help her up (which I discovered is so difficult when its basically dead weight). She had to sit a while longer and then together we got her up. Thankfully her main injury was a badly scraped up elbow and forearm. Unfortunately I had switched bags and didn't have my usual Neosporin and bandaids (our family's cure-all) to offer. The best I could do was offer baby wipes to help clean up her arm. Do you know what she was concerned most about? Her $400.00 glasses, which thankfully survived the fall. :) She went on to tell me that she began drinking milk and taking extra calcium early in life so now at 79 years old, even though she falls a lot, her bones are stong and don't break. So here's our lesson for the day ladies....let's drink our milk so when we're falling in parking lots we won't be breaking bones either.

On a side note, let me reveal to you how fashion-savy I'm not (although you probably already know this about me). :) At the store I found a darling bag to carry for only 50 cents. I thought it was a steal until I got home and looked at the name on the zipper...Lancome. I bought myself a new cosmetic bag. So tonight Jose will be carrying the cell phone, camera, my license, money and if he agrees, a tube of lipstick in his pocket. I'll be hands-free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just blesses my heart to know that there are Christians out there that follow Our Lords example.

But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. (Matt. 9:36).

How I wish that I can drink milk. It is my favorite drink along with milk shakes,& rootbeer floats. But unfortunately I happen to be lactose intolerant. Although I occasionally will have a glass of ice cold refreshing milk.I Just can't help myself. I know I need to take something for calcium, especially because wemons bones are more fragile, mainly in their knees.

But anyway. I was very touched by this story, because I pictured you helping my Mom who has been in situations like this with no Samaritain in sight.

Thank God for the gift of compassion & milk.

love,
Nettie

p.s. please excuse my grammer and spelling.

Anonymous said...

That was so caring of you. Even having both of your girls, you still made the time to help this little lady. Not too many people bother. May God continue to give you a caring heart. As for the bag comment...I didn't get what you were saying until after reading your blog several times. So much for the fashion gal that I am...lol