Thursday, September 13, 2007

Today was a busy but fun day. After Bek and I took Annie to school, we headed to a church in Chino to sign up for MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers). I am so excited to be joining this organization. I've only heard wonderful things about it. The whole concept is for the older women to teach the younger women about caring for their husbands, children, homes, etc. (a biblical principle from Titus 2). Spiritual wisdom is offered as well as practical ideas for ministering to our families. This will be something fun to look forward to with my Rebekah two mornings a month, while my Annie is busy in school, which is going so well by the way. :) I have to say that as much as I miss my Annie, I'm truly cherishing this time with Bek. It is a different dynamic having only one child with me. My goals are to spend quality time with Bek, getting to know her better as an individual (versus as part of a pair of siblings) and to give her the same attention in regards to academics as I was able to give Annie in the first few years of her life. Looking back, I realize how much I was able to teach Annie that I haven't had, or should I say made, the time to teach Bekah. I want her to have the same advantages going into school that Annie has (knowing the alphabet, being able to write letters of the alphabet, counting, etc.).

After MOPS we spent some time at my mom's eating lunch and hanging out, then brought Annie home. The afternoon was spent cooking dinner and baking some goodies for our youth at church. The exciting event of the afternoon happened in the patio. I heard a loud high-pitched chirping noise and looked to see a cat (who I now can assume is the culprit of those presents that have been left in the backyard) crouched down with the hair raised on its back obviously in pursuit of another animal. I got my broom to shoo it away when I saw it was hunting a small squirrel. Yikes! I certainly didn't want the cute little thing to get malled in my patio, especially with my 2 year old watching. But all I could picture was the scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with the squirrel being chased. What if the thing was rabid, and bit me?! Anyway I got the cat away, opened the front gate, and gently shooed away the innocent little creature. No harm done. I think some scenes of our lives should have background music, like in the movies and TV. It would make little dramas like this so much more interesting. :)

On to church we went this evening where I got to hang out with the Jr. High and High School girls. They really are such dolls and my heart is really beginning to love them. My desire for them to know and love Jesus is just increasing every time I see them. We went through the second half of James 1 and at the end we all named something from the chapter that we would implement into our lives since we are called to be doers, not hearers only. I chose to put into practice verse 20 where it says that the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God. When I get frustrated with my children, I tend raise my voice and let my emotions direct me. That is far from being okay and definitely does not represent the Lord's love. So with the Lord's help, I will refrain from being wrathful. In practical terms, I won't be a mom who yells.


Okay, well there's my novel for the evening. More to come later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm tired just reading about your day...whew! You are such a good and creative Mom. It is so important to make each one of your children feel as special as they are, yet not always easy. This time will be wonderful for you and Bek.